- No, Lindsay Lohan has not been poisoned. The search term “Lindsay Lohan Poisoned”, which popped up on Google Trends and elsewhere two days ago, is a publicity stunt by Alex Jones. He’s promoting an 11-minute video on the supposed dangers of ADHD medications, fluoridated water, vaccines, GMO food, etc. It’s amazing how many errors one person can cram into 11 minutes.
- I’m not sure just how or why people fell for this one, but a few did: An email declared that on August 27th, a mysterious “second moon” would be visible in the night sky. NASA and umpteen science blogs were quick to set the record straight – the “moon” was Mars (which was nearly 200 million miles away). Weirdly – but to their credit – the Planet X people didn’t even try to capitalize on this.
- Another peculiar email claims that for the first time in over 800 years, the month of August will have 5 Sundays, 5 Mondays, and 5 Tuesdays. This actually occurred just 6 years ago, and will happen again in the years 2021, 2027, and 2032.
- There have been several shark sightings off the Massachusetts coast this swimming season, but at least one of them turned out to be completely bogus. Didn’t Bugs Bunny do this like 50 times?
- Misleading internet headlines have given many people the impression that Buddy Valastro, star of The Learning Channel’s Cake Boss, was charged with sexually assualting a minor last week. In reality, Valastro’s brother-in-law was arrested and allegedly confessed to sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl. As an employee of Carlo’s Bakery, he sometimes appeared on the show.
- David Bowie has squashed rumours that he’s collaborating with Lady Gaga on a new single. The rumour popped up simultaneously on a glut of arts and entertainment outlets, many of which posted a *copy* of a document confirming that Bowie was doing co-production, guitar, vocals, and writing for Gaga’s next album. I’m not naming any suspects here, but I find it interesting that Gaga’s producer, RedOne, has been hyping this already-overhyped popstar even more than usual lately. He recently told Billboard her next album will be “shocking”, adding that it’s part of his job to “keep her evolving”. He has a lot of work to do if he wants her to evolve to the level of Bowie…